July 19, 2004

Dad tracks his preemie baby on his blog

snowdeal.org > ex machina

Part of becoming a new parent means that you become hypersensitive to stories about and images of babies. I can't count the number of times Wendy and I have been watching TV and a baby appears on screen in the show or in a commercial, and we both involuntarily blurt out "Baby!," rewind the TiVo, and watch the baby again.

And one of my colleagues recently brought home his 8 weeks prematurely-born son, and I've listened to his stories about keeping the baby on oxygen, and stimulating him to breathe through apnea episodes.

So when I came across this blog of little Eric, born on the Fourth of July, I was "primed" so to speak.

It really is amazing that the advances in medical technology not only give a preemie like little Eric a chance to survive, but that the baseline survival rate for a 24-week preemie is around 65%. I find that really amazing.

Anyway, this blog chronicles it all (he's currently at Day 14) with photos, video, comments from friends and family ("this update made my whole office cheer!") and lots of "tearability."

No comments: