July 27, 2004

Bloggers at the DNC

As my personal experiment in blogging continues, proof that the blogging phenomenon is gaining traction comes with the
admission of bloggers to political conventions with full journalist credentials
.

Since blogs are very much a grass roots endeavor operating on a much more personal, individual level than mainstream media, it stands to reason that those bloggers committed enough to apply for credentials and travel to the DNC are going to be those with a leftist bent. I would imagine that the same will be true of the RNC.

Even more so than with mainstream media, one needs to keep this in mind when reading these blogs. They are partisan, but unlike traditional media, often make no attempt to hide behind objectivity.

Therefore, I've tended to concentrate on the blog named
Centerfield, from the Centrist Coalition, a group which mirrors my own political leanings of late: conservative on fiscal matters and the role government should play, while advocating an inclusive social agenda that seeks to limit governments' role in that arena as well.

The last thing I want to do with this blog is turn it into some sort of political soapbox. As the saying goes, if you don't want to argue, don't talk religion or politics. I just wanted to shed a little light on blogging, and bring to mind the upcoming elections. It promises to be a close contest, so learn about the candidates and the issues, and make sure you're registered to vote!

I'm Patrick Lien, and I approve this message.

No comments: